With Rippling’s Deputy provisioning integration, mutual users can manage common Deputy administrative tasks through Rippling. Connecting your Deputy account in Rippling allows you to gain access to a number of features such as the creation and removal of accounts; managing workspaces; importing hours (regular, PTO, and overtime); as well as provide your employees with single sign-on access to Deputy.
Managing your Connection
How do I set up my connection with Deputy?
- Before you get started, if you’d like to import hours from Deputy, if you are a current customer please reach out to the Rippling support team (email@example.com) to enable PTO and time and attendance mapping for your Deputy integration. If you are a customer undergoing implementation, please reach out to your implementation contact to have your account enabled.
- Once you’ve done so, sign in to your Rippling dashboard, click App Shop in the Main Menu on the left side of the page. From the App Shop, search ‘Deputy’ in the search bar located in the top left of the screen. Once you’ve arrived at the Deputy application profile within Rippling’s App Shop, you can click ‘Connect Account’ to begin the installation process. Please note, you will be prompted to confirm that you are the Deputy administrator to continue with the installation. If you are not the Deputy administrator, Rippling allows you to easily invite the appropriate user to complete the installation.
- Once you’ve confirmed you’re the admin of your Deputy account, you will be asked to select which Deputy organizations that you would like Rippling to synchronize with. Please ensure you select the appropriate organizations for your Deputy account.
- You will then have the opportunity to map your Time Off Categories in Deputy to your Rippling Time Off Types. Please select the appropriate types and any default policies that you would like associated with the time off category. If appropriate, you may select the same Rippling type for multiple Deputy Time Off Categories.
- Configure the provisioning rules for your company’s use of Deputy. This configuration determines which users will automatically receive Deputy user accounts when a Rippling account is created on their behalf.
- Configure the access time of your default provisioning settings for Deputy. This allows you to define when appropriate user accounts will be created and provided to your employees.
- Match your pre-existing employee accounts in Deputy with your corresponding employee accounts in Rippling. In some cases, Rippling’s matching algorithm will not be able to identify an exact match. If this occurs, you should match your pre-existing Deputy accounts with the corresponding employee accounts in Rippling.
- Add your employees, or groups of employees, to your Deputy groups. Groups can be pre-created from directly within Deputy. Please exercise caution when you are assigning individuals to groups in Deputy, as any group changes in Rippling will take place in Deputy as well. Please note, you can also manually synchronize your groups here to retrieve the latest accounts from Deputy to associate with your Rippling groups.
- Now that you’ve set up your API connection to Deputy, you will have the opportunity to set up SAML single sign-on for your employees as well. If you’d prefer to not set up SAML, you can select ‘I’ll Do this Later’ in the bottom right corner. Please follow the SAML instructions on screen in order to configure SAML for your account.
- If you decide to enable SAML for your Deputy account, it is strongly recommended that you require your employees to only use single sign-on to access the account. To do this, please proceed to the ‘Enterprise’ tab in Deputy. Underneath ‘General Settings’, please select ‘Single sign on settings’. From here, check ‘Single sign-on required’. This will enforce your employees to sign in to Deputy through Rippling and is generally a good security practice for SAML-enabled applications. Please ensure that you have tested your SSO configuration before enabling this to ensure that you’re not locked out of your account.
How do I disconnect my connection with Deputy?
- To disconnect your Deputy account, please access your Deputy application page. On your Deputy application page, select ‘Installed’ in order to get to your Deputy configuration settings.
- Please select ‘Settings’, and navigate to ‘Manage App Accounts’. Once you are on this tab, select the trash icon in order to disconnect your Rippling account from Deputy. Please be certain that you have disabled the requirement for your employees to sign-in through Rippling, prior to disconnecting your account.
When the time off sync is active, employees can request time off from within Deputy, which is then tracked within Rippling automatically. This makes it easy for employees to manage all their time, working hours and time off hours, from within the same application.
Activating the Time Off Sync
This time off integration also increases the accuracy of time entered into payroll because there is only one source of data that persists across both applications. All requests and approvals must then be completed within Deputy and all usage, accruals, and balances are tracked in Rippling.
If you’d like to import hours from Deputy, and you are a current customer, please reach out to the Rippling support team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to enable PTO and time and attendance mapping for your Deputy integration. If you are a customer undergoing implementation, please reach out to your implementation contact to have your account enabled.
If you have already installed the application, you can activate the time off sync from within the ‘Settings’ tab of your Deputy application in Rippling.
Once you’ve enabled the syncing of time off requests from Deputy, you are able to set the policy mapping.
Setting the Policy Mapping
The time off codes that you have set up in your Deputy account will sync to Rippling. You’ll then need to map each of these to a unique policy type in Rippling. The default policy is an optional field to specify a policy to capture requests entered in Deputy only when an employee is not assigned to a policy of that type in Rippling. This feature of the integration acts as a a “fall back” setting to ensure all time off is synced into payroll.
You’ll also be able to import historical time off requests simultaneously. As part of this sync, you’ll be able to define the effective date that you want time off requests to be synced staring from. You are also able to tell Rippling which groups of employees that you wish to have requests pulled in for on their behalf.
For any requests that were made in both Deputy and Rippling, these requests may appear duplicated. If need be, navigate to the ‘Manage’ tab in your Rippling PTO application to cancel any historic requests that have been processed in both systems.
Importing Time Off
Currently, requests that are approved via Deputy will sync over into Rippling Payroll and Rippling PTO. This occurs due to nightly syncs that run approximately at 1:30am PST. Additionally, admins can click the “Import Hours” button in a pay run to manually trigger the sync. This will pull in all hours that should be fed into that pay run, but also will pull PTO requests for future period for tracking purposes within Rippling as well.
What fields are pushed from Rippling during a user creation?
Rippling currently pushes the following attributes to Deputy during the user creation process.
- Personal phone number
- Start date
- Date of birth
- Emergency contact name
- Emergency contact phone number
How often does Rippling sync employee information with Deputy?
Every 24 hours, unless a company admin, selects ‘Sync’.
How do I import time off hours from Deputy?
You’re able to configure this option during your Deputy installation process. If you select ‘Yes’ during this process, you will be asked to map your Deputy Time Off Categories with your Rippling Time Off Type. During this time, you are able to select the policies associated with your Rippling Time Off Type as well.
If you wish to modify this setting post the installation process, please go to ‘Settings’ from your Deputy Application page. From ‘Settings’, please select ‘Deputy Options’, which will allow you to modify your configuration for importing time off hours from Deputy.
Do accrual types auto create in Deputy?
No – accruals do not auto create in Deputy. Rippling manages accruals and balances.
What pay types are available for syncing from Rippling?
Ordinary, overtime, and PTO pay types are available for syncing in Rippling. For PTO, Rippling checks if the company is already using Rippling PTO to track an employee’s time off requests. If the company is already using Rippling PTO, Rippling treats Rippling PTO as the source of truth and will ignore PTO hours from Deputy.
Additionally, if Rippling detects pay rates in Deputy that are not regular, overtime, or doubletime, the system will automatically create a pay rate by that name in Rippling under the ‘Custom Pay Rates’ tab in the Payroll App’s settings. Overtime and Double Overtime variants of the custom rate will be created as well. If there is a custom or non-standard multiplier associated with the rate, that multiplier will be honored (e.g. 1.7x, 2.5x).